History of Trareoch.

 
 
 
 
 
 

‘Old Trareoch’ picture from sometime before 1890.

 
 

Built in the early 1800’s, with an old Irish Gaelic name of ‘Traghariabhach’, the original building was a small croft. The old road that ran south from Whiting Bay to Kildonan used to pass just behind the house until a large section of cliff was dynamited to make way for the ‘new’ road, as it still runs, above the raised beach. The access road down to Trareoch was part of that original old road.

The old croft building was ruined and rebuilt as a ‘modern’ family house in the early 1900’s. By the 1930’s Trareoch had turned into Trareoch House Hotel, it was extended to include a dance hall and extra accommodation. The Lodge is the 1930’s extension to the north end of the property.

Trareoch Hotel had its heyday through till the hotel trade and house hotels went quiet in the 1980’s. It changed with the times to become holiday flats, then later a busy tearoom and craft shop. Trareoch Crafts finished running from the house in 2000 and since then Trareoch has been a family home, getting slowly improved and modernised ready to be part of the holiday lets of Arran again.